Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News
Providence Friars Soccer


October 6, 2012
Huskies fall to Marquette 3-2

Jossimar Sanchez scored the first goal for UConn.
Jossimar Sanchez scored the first goal for UConn.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
MILWAUKEE, Wisc. – The No. 2 University of Connecticut men’s soccer team suffered its first loss of the season on Saturday night with a 3-2 defeat at the hands of No. 9 Marquette at Valley Fields.

With the loss, UConn falls to 10-1-1 (3-1-0 Big East) while Marquette remains one of two teams in the NCAA with a perfect record at 11-0-0 (3-0-0 Big East).

The Huskies fell behind for the first time all season with Marquette’s opening goal to make it 1-0 at in the 33rd minute. MU midfielder Islami Kelmend sent in a cross from the left side which found Adam Lysak inside the box. Lysak fired a low shot into the right side.

The Golden Eagles made it 2-0 with a hard cross banged home from within 15 yards by Andy Huftalin in the 40th minute.

The Huskies finally got one back in the 71st minute the foot of Jossimar Sanchez. Sanchez outraced Marquette keeper Charlie Lyon to the ball at the top-left corner of the six-yard box and poked home his first goal of the season and the third of his career. Adria Beso assisted on the tally, his third of the year.

Lyon, who was charging on the play, collided with Sanchez on the 50/50 ball in the box. Sanchez was taken off the field in an ambulance with a serious leg injury.

Marquette regained the two goal edge with Huftalin’s second in the 82nd minute.

Beso tallied his first goal of the year with a shot from inside the box in the 90th minute.

Saturday marked the first time UConn has allowed three goals since a 3-0 defeat to Boston University in Storrs on September 5, 2009. It was also the first time Huskies goalkeeper Andre Blake has given up more than two goals in his career. He finished with seven saves while Marquette’s Charlie Lyon stopped five shots in the victory.

The Huskies had plenty of chances throughout the game
Connecticut’s best chance of the opening 45 minutes came off a shot by Allando Matheson from inside the box in the 22nd minute. Matheson found space on the counter-attack but had his shot towards the left side denied with a great diving save by Lyon.

Marquette applied pressure early in the second half with four corners in the opening four minutes forcing excellent saves from Blake to deny Huftalin in the 48th minute and Sebastian Jansson in the 49th.

Mamadou Doudou Diouf had a shot in the 56th minute from inside the box but his shot was ripped straight into the arms of Lyon.

Blake made another brilliant save in the 72nd minute keep the score at 2-1, robbing Paul Dillon off a free kick from 25 yards out.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved