Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News
Massachusetts Minutemen Soccer


September 19, 2010
Indiana tops Minutemen 2-1

AMHERST, Mass. – Goals from Will Bruin and Andy Adlard and some lucky bounces in the Hoosiers’ favor resulted in a 2-1 road win for No. 24 Indiana at UMass on Sunday afternoon. With the win Indiana improves to 2-3, while UMass fals to 1-2-2.

Indiana took a 1-0 lead in the 51st minute when Bruin beat the goalkeeper 1-on-1 for his fifth goal of the season. Tim Wylie received a pass from keeper Luis Soffner and played it back to Jacob Bushue. Bushue lofted a pass over the UMass defensive back line where Bruin time a perfect run to collect the ball. Just inside the 18-yard box, he one-time a left footed shot inside the left post and past charging keeper Chris Piekos.

The Minutemen tied things up at 1-1 in the 56th minute with a score from Hellah Sidibe on a defensive breakdown by the Hoosiers. Sidibe was able to elude an Indiana defender along the right goal line, dribble towards the goal box, and fire a flat-angled, left-footed shot between Soffner and the right goal post.

In the 64rd minute, the Hoosiers responded as Adlar scored his fourth of the year. Adlar deflected a clearing pass by a sliding UMass defender and caught Piekos outside of the six-yard box. Adlar's deflection carried towards the left goal post, and despite a diving effort by Piekos to recover, Adlar managed to reach the loose ball to poke it into the empty net. It was Adlard’s third game-winning goal of the season. Ten of his 15 career goals have been game winners.

With the Hoosiers clinging to a 2-1 lead and under nine minutes left in the second half, Harrison Petts broke free on the right and unleashed a liner from 25 yards out that bounced off Piekos.

UMass had two chances late in the game, but were unable to find the equalizer. In the 85th minute, Andrew Henshaw flicked a corner kick towards the back post which was saved by Indiana defender Matt McKain who was on the goal line.

It looked as if Henshaw was going to tie the game again with 15 seconds left after a nice pass by Ben Arikian put him on target, but Henshaws shot from three-yards out hit the right post deflecting away.

Bruin came out early in the second half and played a nice cross to Harrison Petts, who tracked his header wide right. About a minute later Adlard had a free kick from 25 yards out on the right side but Piekos was able to grab the ball before Bruin could get his head on it.

The teams combined for just one shot in the first 25 minutes, a slow roller from Indiana’s Chris Estridge that was easily saved by Piekos.

The Minutemen’s first shot came in the 28th minute and it was a dangerous one as Chris Roswess hit a line drive that goalkeeper Luis Soffner was forced to punch over the crossbar. Tim Wylie came on with under 10 minutes to play in the first half to spell Bruin, who had one shot in the half.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved