Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


August 4, 2012
DC clips Crew 1-0

Chris Pontius scored DC United's only goal in a 1-0 win over Columbus
Chris Pontius scored DC United's only goal in a 1-0 win over Columbus
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
WASHINGTON, DC—Chris Pontius scored in the 49th minute and DC United held on for a 1-0 win over the Columbus Crew Saturday night at RFK Stadium.

Pontius reaped the benefit of some crowd-pleasing work by teammates Nick DeLeon and Long Tan. DeLeon bought the ball near the right end line and cut into the box, spinning to elude two defenders before tapping the ball to Tan, whose backheeled shot was blocked leaving Pontius with an easy finish off the rebound.

The Crew’s best chance came early, when Justin Meram picked off a pass in the backfield, dribbled into the box and got off a shot around defender Emiliano Dudar, only to be thwarted by Hamid.

United netminder Bill Hamid needed three saves to post the shutout. Andy Gruenebaum stopped six in the losing effort, as DC put seven of their 15 shots on goal. He also got some help from the woodwork in the 45th minute, when United defender Perry Kitchen put a shot off the post.

DC remain fourth in the MLS East at 11-7-3 and 36 points. The Crew (8-8-4, 28) fall to seventh, behind the expansion Montreal Impact.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass.--- Teal Bunbury’s first-half goal was all Sporting Kansas City needed to defeat the New England Revolution 1-0 at Gillette Stadium and end a three-game winless streak.

Stephen McCarthy’s 20th- minute defensive error near the center circle led to a one-on-one opportunity for Bunbury, and the third-year striker beat goalkeeper Matt Reis with a cool finish to the far post for the game-winner and his fourth goal of the season.

The win moves Kansas City (12-7-4, 40 points) into a first-place tie with the Houston Dynamo in the Eastern Conference.

It was New England’s first match since trading team captain Shalrie Joseph to Chivas USA, and their fourth defeat in the last five games, leaving the Revolution (6-11-5, 23 pts) tied for eighth place with Philadelphia and nine points off the chase for a playoff spot.

Full story from New England Soccer News

MONTREAL---The Montreal Impact won its fourth home game in a row on Saturday night, beating the Philadelphia Union 2-0 (halftime 1-0) in front of 18,535 spectators at Stade Saputo.

The Impact improved their record to 9-13-3, 30 points, leapfrogging Columbus into sixth place in the MLS East. While the Union (7-11-2, 23) have games in hand over most of the teams ahead of them in the conference, clawing their way into playoff position gets harder with each missed opportunity in the rapidly disappearing season.

Montreal took the lead in the 44th minute, on a goal by Andrew Wenger. Former Union midfielder Justin Mapp served a corner kick to Patrice Bernier, who was stationed about 24 yards out off the right corner of the penalty area. Bernier lofted a ball into the box for Wenger, who went up over the crowd and sent a header to the far post.

Montreal took a two-goal lead in the 78th minute. Hassoun Camara played a ball from the right side of the area between three Union defenders. Felipe Martins went airborne to volley the ball into right side of the net.
Both teams went a man down in the 69th minute. Antoine Hoppenot upended Rivas in a challenge. Rivas got up, went over to Hoppenot and head-butted him. McInerney charged into the fray and threw Rivas to the ground. Both Rivas and McInerney were red-carded by referee Ismail Elfath.

Fulll story from Philly Soccer News

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill.—The Chicago Fire scored twice in the second half to snatch a 2-1 comeback win over Toronto FC Saturday night at Toyota Park.

Marco Pappa, whose aimless backpass opened the door for Ryan Johnson to stake the Reds to a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute, atoned for the error in the 64th, latching onto the loose ball after an attempted clearance and slipping the game-tying shot between the right post and TFC defender Richard Eckersley.

Twenty minutes later, rookie center back Austin Berry clinched the win with a forceful header off Pavel Pardo’s 30-yard free kick.

The Reds’ hopes of equalizing largely evaporated over the closing minutes, first when defender Logan Emory collected his second yellow card and was ejected in the 79th minute, and then when midfielder Jeremy Hall had to leave with an injury in the 88th, after coach Paul Mariner had used all three of his substitutes, leaving Chicago (10-7-5, 35 pts) with a two-man advantage.

Toronto remain at the bottom of the MLS East at 5-13-4 (19 pts).

Full story from ChicagoLand Soccer News

COMMERCE CITY, Colo.—The Colorado Rapids snapped a six-game losing streak in satisfying fashion on Saturday, knocking off Rocky Mountain Cup rivals Real Salt Lake 1-0 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.

The fired-up Rapids outshot weary RSL – who were playing their third match in eight days, including a midweek road trip to Costa Rica for a CONCACAF Champions League match – 16-4, and got the game-winner from Joseph Nane in the 38th minute. Nane’s 17-yard shot came off the rebound after Jaime Castrillon’s’s header was blocked by goalkeeper Nick Rimando. Castrillon came close to doubling Colorado’s lead in the 69th minute, but hit the post from the top of the six-yard box.

RSL (13-8-3, 42 pts) missed a chance to re-take first place in the MLS West from idle San Jose. The seventh-place Rapids improve to 8-14-1 (25).

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved