Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsNew England Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News


July 29, 2012
Ottawa wins title on pks.

OTTAWA, Ont. – The Ottawa Fury gave up a second-minute goal on Sunday afternoon and then spent all of 88 minutes searching for the equalizer in the 2012 W-League Championship.

They found it at the death. Melissa Busque pounced on the rebound as Pali Blues goalkeeper Anna Maria Picarelli could only parry away Katrina-Lee Gorry's free kick, and Busque made no mistake from close range, tying the game at 1-1 moments before the final whistle. After overtime, Ottawa goalkeeper Jasmine Phillips made two diving saves during the penalty kicks to lift the Fury to their first W-League title.

Pali to edged its way in front as Nikki Washington fired from long range to put the Blues up 1-0 in just the second minute. Washington was held out of action during Friday's semifinal and she made an immediate impact on Sunday afternoon. Sarah Huffman played Washington down the right side and she struck a brilliant shot from distance, beating Phillips and into the far netting.

The Blues came into Sunday's game searching for their third W-League title while the perennial power Fury were back in the championship game for the second consecutive season.

With moments remaining in regulation Woods stepped up to take the free kick just outside the box. Her shot fired past the wall and through to Picarelli who palmed away. Busque collected and fired home to knot the game at the death, sending the W-League Championship into extra time.
While the Fury carried the momentum into the overtime, neither side was able to capitalize, sending it to penalties.
Fury youth product Jasmine Phillips made two diving saves and closed out the game 2-1 (4-3) as the Fury won their first W-League Championship in front of their home fans.



D.C. United Women rallied in the second half to tie the game behind a Jen Skogerboe strike in the 53rd minute before going on to win the game on penalty kicks after regulation ended at 1-1.

With both teams feeling each other out early on Josee Belanger used her speed to beat her defender to the ball and calmly slotted past an on-rushing Danielle DeLisle to put Quebec City up 1-0 in the 17th minute. The Amiral's spritely forward Imen Trodi and Belanger combined well in Friday's semifinal and continued today looking dangerous throughout.

D.C. United came out pressing forward early in the second half and the insertion of Joanna Lohman into the lineup seemed to inject life into the side. D.C. got its reward in the 53rd minute as Hayley Siegel held off her defender to slot through the box to Skogerboe. Skogerboe made no mistake and blasted past Marie-Pier Bilodeau to tie the game.

The game settled and both Bilodeau and DeLisle made outstanding saves to keep the scoreline at 1-1. Moments before the final whistle Lianne Sanderson rattled the woodwork as Bilodeau was rendered helpless. With the game going straight to penalty kicks, backup keeper Didi Haracic came on during the last minute of regulation for D.C. United.

In a battle of attrition, Haracic saved Belanger's strike in the eighth round before Marisa Abegg finished to earn D.C. the victory.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2015 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC. All Rights Reserved